WritersButt Wednesday – Say YES!
Hi everyone. Sorry I was MIA last week. Whew — I am crazy busy, with all good things, but I missed you!! I had this whole post planned for you today about breakfast, and the healthiest choices to give you energy, clear thinking, and not leaving you frantically searching for a ‘fix’ come 10 am. The post will of course come with pictures of some breakfast meals that I’ve prepared recently for myself. I also have a great book review planned for you for a paleo book that I seriously believe every single person should read. I really believe that, no exaggeration. It’s called Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. (Full review coming soon!)
All that is fine and good but I’m shoving those plans aside today. I saw a video this morning on Facebook, posted by Susan Wiggs, that so filled my heart with smiles and my eyes with tears that I want to talk about and celebrate the concept of saying YES.
“Yes to what, Ginger?” you ask me.
“Yes to YOU!”
Do you say no to yourself more often than yes? Do you hold back on things, for one reason or another, things that will bring you joy? This happens to most of us more often that you might believe. We deprive ourselves because we believe that we don’t deserve it. In fact, I’ll argue that we frequently live our lives engaged in activities we don’t want to do. We even hang on to people in our lives who do not bring us joy because they are comfortable or we feel they ‘need’ us.
Well, you need yourself too! If you let everyone else have all of you, what’s left? It’s time to say YES and open the floodgates of happiness and joy.
Top 5 things that NEED YOUR YES!
1. Yes to your PASSIONS – Do what you love. I know there are dreams inside of you desperate to be alive. Give them life. Tell them yes for the love of Tinkerbell. Do you have songs to be sung, books to be written, a role to play, images to capture, an invention that will change the world? Or do you have the need to educate and guide, to heal or comfort? Whatever it is, it’s speaking to you. Listen to its pleas and SAY YES!
2. Yes to your SOUL – Your soul is the essence of you. It’s where your tears live, and your smiles and your laughter. Experience things that speak to your soul. Smile at the sunset that fills your eyes with beauty. Let your tears fall if they need to fall. Your soul is trying to release them for you. Laugh out loud! Don’t stifle your laughter, in fact seek it out at all costs. It’s a balm to your soul like nothing I’ve ever found. (Note: This may not be advised in church but as I found out, your Pastor will still hug you after the service even if your teen self couldn’t hold back giggles, multiple times, at inopportune moments.)
3. Yes to your BODY – Your body wants to be nourished well, hydrated, pushed physically and rested. Yes, it really does! If you can’t say yes to this, let me do if for you, loud and insistent, until you figure out how to say it yourself. YES!!!
4. Yes to your SPIRIT – Life is crazy. It’s scattered. It’s packed with things, noises, people, obligations, and demands. Say yes to some quiet every day. Let your spirit take a breath. You don’t have to do full on meditation, although that would be great. Just a few minutes to let your breathing settle down, to let your body be actively restful, to let your mind travel inward. If you listen carefully, you might hear your soul talking. I’d pay attention!
5. Yes to your HEART – I left this one for last because it segues the video below, but it in no way is least important. Your heart has no limit on the love it can hold. It wants to expand, to wrap itself around more and more, until it’s fit to burst. Embrace love. Love yourself. Love your sweetheart. Love your family and friends. But don’t forget to love acts of kindness. Love your world, as flawed as it may sometimes be. Love your planet. It’s our home. And appreciate and love others’ love, their relationships. If we focus on things that expand our hearts with goodness, we will leave no room for the rest.