WritersButt Wednesday: Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!
Today folks, we’re going to cheat. Yep, you heard me. Sometimes, you just have to let loose and have a little indulgence. Not a LOT of indulgence, I said a ‘little’. No need to go on a twinkie rampage. But if you’ve been disciplined with your nutrition, and you’ve kept up with your workouts, even if only the mini-breaks I’ve given you to incorporate into your daily routine, you have earned the reward of a ‘cheat’.
Now, honestly, I don’t really care for the term cheat, because that makes it sound like a negative and it’s not. I’d prefer treat, reward, or how about a goodie, like a goodie-bag you get at the end of a birthday party. Woo!
Yesterday, Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser, released his new book, The Skinny Rules. Ok, full disclosure, another term I’m not a fan of , skinny, especially when used as a compliment because I don’t picture success or beauty when I hear skinny but it’s what most people think they want. ~sigh~ In my world, Strong is the New Skinny, but I digress. Outside of the title, Bob’s book seems to offer some great advice, if his top 5 tips represent the rest of the book. (I have not read the book, so I can’t review it in its entirety.)
In this video from his appearance on The Today Show, he talks about his top 5 tips to get Skinny Awesomesauce. You may have heard some of these tips right here at WritersButt. ~huge grin~
- Water. Drink a glass of water the moment you get out of bed and drink a glass before every single meal. He wants you to get at LEAST 8-12 glasses a day. Let’s do that math, 12 glasses would be 96 ounces, which is pretty darn close to the WritersButt rule of 100 oz a day.
- Protein at every meal. All kinds. Make it easy, like always have hard boiled eggs ready in your fridge. These are easy to carry with you to work. Good quality deli meats are good too. Just get your protein.
- Berries and Apples every day. They both are a great source of fiber and antioxidants. They will make you feel satisfied. Plus, the natural sugars may offer some relief if you’re battling a sweet-tooth.
- Meatless day every week. His reasoning for this is that it encourages you to eat more veggies and fruits. He said, “No one gains weight eating vegetables.” (Bob’s quote—not Ginger’s!) But he is right that it’s hard to eat too many veggies, as long as your reaching for the leafy greens, those veggies with deep vibrant color like squash, peppers, broccoli, asparagus … make a rainbow of color on your plate with veggies. Maybe a day without animal protein isn’t such a bad idea. I might try this one.
- Go to bed hungry. Late night snacking is a bad habit and it inhibits restful sleep. You don’t want your body working to digest your food while you’re trying to tap into your REM cycle. Plus, you want to wake up hungry. Bob suggests not eating within 3 hours of going to bed. That will be hard in my house but he makes a great point.
So, why have I called this post Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater? Because another thing that Bob talked about, which I also agree with, is the 80/20 rule in terms of discipline. He suggests that it’s a very small percentage of people who can be 100% disciplined 100% of the time. He admits that he can’t even do that. For me, I’d say I’m more of a 90/10 girl with occasional 20% vacations. The point is, do well with your choices at least 80% of the time and you will have earned the splurge/cheat/ treat/goodie/reward! Bob suggest a splurge meal a week. I think that’s excessive. Haha! Surprised? I’d say a couple times a month or a small reward every week, but not a whole meal every week.
I know, WritersButt Ginger is so mean!
Typically, in my 10-20% gray area, I drink wine and indulge in really good chocolate, like Lindt’s dark chocolate with sea salt and very occasionally some gourmet cheese. YUM! I read something on Facebook yesterday that made me laugh and I’ve edited to suit my tastes.
“I’d give up drinking wine … but I’m not a quitter.” Hee hee!
So my question is what is your cheat? You know, that thing that if I told you you’d earned a reward meal or treat, what would be the one thing you’d choose?
Lately for me, it’s Popcorn. I don’t know what’s going on but I’ve been craving popcorn something fierce. Popcorn is one thing that I always allow myself when we go to the movies. I just love its crunchy goodness. I do not feel guilty eating it in the least because I’ve been disciplined 90% of the so I get that 10% reward.
Spill it – what’s your indulgence?
Posted on May 16, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged blogging, Bob Harper, cheat meal, Ginger Calem, popcorn, reward, The Skinny Rules, WritersButt, WritersButt Wednesday. Bookmark the permalink. 28 Comments.