Today for WritersButt Wednesday, I’m going to send you off to read something. But you have to come back and talk to me! I saw a link to an article from one of my Facebook friends titled:
“10 Simple Things You Can Do Today That Will Make You Happier, Backed By Science”
Pretty hard to resist clicking that! No brainer, right? So off I went and I was thrilled to find that most of the items are components in my WritersButt program. I mean, did they see inside my brain? You know what else was totally cool? I literally do ALL of those things, in some way or another. Boom!
Let’s see how you do. Go on … READ THIS and find out. I’ll wait right here.
Hey, welcome back. Pretty cool, right? Did you notice all the WritersButt approved items there?
Exercise (fast and effective!) – Sleep – Time outdoors – Meditation – GRATITUDE!!
These are truly simple things to incorporate into your life that will help you to be happier. It’s mentioned numerous times throughout the article that doing these things also make you more productive. A happier person is also more creative. I’ve already given you tons of back-up information and studies on how exercise and sleep and even certain foods boost your creativity. All of this goes hand in hand and it’s NOT hard! It’s not time-consuming. You have nothing to lose … and your happiness, health, creativity and productivity to gain!
My challenge to you is to make sure you are actively doing at LEAST 6 items on that list, commit to a majority of them. Make it a test for one week. See if you can incorporate a minimum of 6 of the following items into you daily (that means EVERY DAY) life and see if you notice a difference.
- Exercise more: Who is still doing their potty squats? How about some fast lunges or push ups. Set a timer for 5-10 minutes and just move. Come on – you can do ANYTHING for 5 little minutes!
- Sleep more: You will not get more accomplished by sleeping less. I promise. You might for a day or two, maybe even a week, but your work will suffer and so will you. Squeeze in more sleep!
- Short commute: I suspect this one will be the hardest for some to do based on life’s circumstances. My husband commutes to work and it’s at least a 2 hour drain in his day. For years he’s worked an shifted schedule to lesson the time, going into work early and trying to get out of there before the onslaught of rush-hour. Maybe your employer will work with you on this? It’s worth a shot.
- Family and Friends: Surround yourself with people who bless your life and then don’t waste any chances to be with them. You are likely blessing their life too. Life is so uncertain, don’t miss any opportunity to be with those you love.
- Go Outside: I have given you all homework to take walks before. Get outdoors. Soak up some natural vitamin D – a mood booster!! Breathe in the fresh air. Feel the breeze blow through your hair. Turn your face to the sun and absorb the warmth.
- Help Others: Make an effort to actively help others. I call this, ‘getting into their gratitude journal’. If everyone kept a gratitude journal, how often would YOU or something you did be something someone else recorded as a gratitude in their life? Make their list!
- Practice Smiling: Smile your way to happy! It’s the easiest gift to give and it’s usually reciprocated. Back up your smile with a positive thought and really let your eyes lit up with joy! Challenge – see how much people you can get to smile back at you in any given day.
- Plan a trip: I love this one and do this all the time. I get daily Living Social and Groupon emails with deals. I’m on the ‘getaway’ list and love to check out vacation getaway deals. Just putting myself on a virtual vacation calms me and makes me smile. Dream!
- Meditate: For me, this is the very hardest one because I get going so fast that I don’t force myself to slow down, physically and mentally. My mind is racing. I am going to challenge myself to find 2-5 minutes a day to settle my mind and be calm with my body. When I have done this in the past, I’ve loved it. I know it’s a learned practice so I’m going to work on this.
- Practice Gratitude: My favorite!! Keep that gratitude journal. Send a message to someone, maybe even a tweet or FB status, to tell them you are grateful to them or that you are grateful for something they did. Help make Gratitude go Viral!!
So tell me, does any of this resonate? What are you going to work on? For me, I pledge to meditate daily and to take up my gratitude journal again in addition to physically reaching out and expressing my gratitude to someone for something specific every single day.
Have a great week!
I don’t know about you but I very often find myself saying “That is one of my most favorite things.” I feel this way about a lot of things. Some things just make me smile everywhere. You know the kind of things I’m talking about right? Things that are so YOU that you practically bond with them. I believe you can tell a lot about a person from the collection of their favorite things. Going forward, I’ll make a point of sharing some of my favorite things here on my blog on Fridays and I’d love to hear about your favorite things!
At the end of 2011, I blogged about my top five favorite things of the year. This year, I’d like to share with you a few gifts I received for Christmas that I flipped out over because they were totally unexpected and spoke to me.
Not pictured are the bottles of liquor and gift card to Specs (thanks, Mom!) or the purse that my Dad managed to surprise me with when I am almost impossible to surprise.
First up —
This was my first surprise. A good friend gave me these amazingly cool Harry Potter coasters. I squealed. When I asked her where in the world she’d found them she told me she MADE them, choosing the photos herself just for me. I squealed and did that little jumpy-hand-wavy thing.
Then my wonderful sister-in-law surprised us with this gorgeous candleholder. I mean, tea lights and wine bottles. Hello!
My lovely sister chose this ring and bracelet and it was love at first sight. Seriously, how cool are these? I love how warm the wood is against my skin. They are totally my style and I think I’ve worn them every time I’ve gotten out of my workout clothes since.
Ok, this blew me away! My wonderful mother-in-law picked my name for our family Secret Santa exchange. I love trees, especially willowy ones because I feel they are dancing and swaying to some beautiful song of nature. This tree is hand-blown glass and was found at the Texas Renaissance Fest. I’m in love with it.
Finally, that same awesome mother-in-law gave me a set of wine-finds. You know those charms you put on a wine glass so you can keep track of it at a party. Only, I use them all the time even when I’m having a glass all by myself because it’s like my glass looking sassy just for me. Well, I saw this cool set of wine finds at our local Christmas Stroll. They are made from pennies. The full set is huge nod to all things superhero. Captain America, Batman, Spidey …. as you might imagine, my favorite one is Wonder Woman!
So tell me, did you get anything for Christmas (or Chanukah, or recently ‘just because’) that made you want to hug it and kiss it and do the jumpy-hand-wavy thing?
Here’s to a great 2013 and many more favorite things!